20 May 2011

A Kingdom Theology for Isaac-Ishmael

People have rightfully asked me about the theology upon which the Isaac-Ishmael Initiative is founded. I find myself a bit lonely in my assumptions, as I mentioned to my friend Rob today while we were hanging out at a cafe. Rob happens to be the big cheese (president) of Christian Associates and is one of the few people who track with me on these assumptions.
       This has got me mulling over the people and books which inform me the most. They are all focused on a "robust Kingdom theology," to quote Rob from this morning. Here's a short list:
     * George Eldon Ladd, The Gospel of the Kingdom
     * Lesslie Newbigin, Foolishness to the Greeks, The Gospel in a Pluralist Society, and a lot of his other writing (found in The Reader)
     * Dallas Willard, The Divine Conspiracy
     * Henri Nouwen, In the Name of Jesus
       Ladd's thinking on the Kingdom of God is foundational/seminal for me. I re-read his little book, The Gospel of the Kingdom every year. It is profound and insightful while being written for the mission practitioner.
       Here is where I find myself in regards to the Kingdom and the children of Abraham (Isaac and Ishmael). If I truly believe that Jesus inaugurated the Kingdom of God on earth and that Isaac and Ishmael both have a place in that Kingdom (see Isaiah 59 and 60), then I am called to be part of co-creating that diverse community here and now. What that means is that Jesus does not give me the option to hate and be punitive toward people who would naturally be my enemies (such as the children of Ishmael).
       I dream of the Kingdom of God so permeating cultures that Jews and Arabs will worship God together through Jesus Christ. In every place where people despise each other (Hutus vs. Tutsis in Rwanda, Catholics vs. Protestants in Northern Ireland, Kurds vs. Turks and Iranians and Iraqis, etc.) the gospel of the Kingdom penetrates and turns those despised into the beloved. Sounds crazy, doesn't it? It may just be crazy enough to be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment