17 April 2013

For Jodi - A Truly "Crazy" One

Our friend Jodi died a year ago. This is what I wrote at that time. Many people continue to miss Jodi; and we rejoice that all that life and exuberance which overflowed from her is now overflowing in the presence of Jesus! 

My memory of Jodi is one of exuberance, a smile and laugh which was contagious. She served as an elder when I pastored in Amsterdam; she always helped me laugh at myself even in the midst of an intense conversation.
       The other memory I have is from a photo which was taken my last day at Crossroads Church. It's a picture of Jodi with our friend and colleague Geertruyt. I have joked with her that they look WAY too happy on the day of my departure!
       But then I catch myself and remember that Jodi ALWAYS looked this way!
       Our friend Jodi died yesterday after battling cancer for a number of years. I was so privileged to have spent some hours with she and Stefan last month in their home in Holland. It was a precious time over American pancakes and good coffee.
       Jodi was so fully alive, even as she battled disease. She was full of faith, full of love for her husband and children, full of hope for life and for eventually being with Jesus.
       On the day in July, 2005 that Susy and I and our kids were sent off from Crossroads Jodi was one of the elders on stage with us. She cried, which caused us to cry. Tears of joy and tears of sadness. She blessed us and sent us as only Jodi could - with joy, hope, and that contagious smile and laugh!
       I will miss Jodi, as will so many other people.
       So here is to Jodi - one of God's truly "crazy" ones in the very best sense of the word!

No comments:

Post a Comment