15 April 2014

Staying Out of Ruts

In the Springtime on some roads in the Colorado Rocky Mountains, there are major ruts that develop due to melting snow which turns to water and runs down the roadways.
       I have not gotten stuck in one of these ruts, but I have spoken to a few people who have.
       When you get stuck it's very difficult to get UNstuck!
       That sounds a lot like Church life.
       Here's an example. I have pastored in two churches where the conventional wisdom was that we had to teach a four-week series on financial stewardship every January.
       We believed that people would give more all year if we did the series - and it had to be in January, and it had to be for at least 4 weeks.
       I look back on this and realize we were in a rut, which actually may have slowed us down and made us a bit complacent. We had to do the hard work of digging away the rut and driving on level ground again.
 ___________________________
       In a very real sense, "good enough never is." Many times government workers have the attitude of, "that's good enough." Sadly, so do churches.
      Perhaps churches articulate it a bit more subtly than that. When a church is in a rut it's prevailing mantra is, "do no harm." That is, don't make any decisions which will insult, offend, or annoy any segment of the congregation.
       What this often means is that few risks are taken, decisions are made very slowly, and (lo and behold), the church finds itself in a rut.
       No church is immune to ruts. I have led churches that were in ruts, I probably got them into the ruts! Big, strong, successful churches get into ruts because the status quo works pretty well, thank you very much.
       The problem with a rut is that it has little to do with the Kingdom of God, and what Jesus is calling the Church to as part of his mission on earth.
       Being in a rut impedes Kingdom work. It is that simple and that stark. The challenge to leaders is to identify the rut(s) that we are in, pray and ask God how he wants us to get out of the rut, and then to take bold leadership decisions to do so.

3 comments:

  1. As a wise friend said to me not long ago, "The Spirit longs to do more in the Church than He is able to do." My friend didn't mean that God doesn't have the power to accomplish His will, but that the Spirit doesn't violate us. God looks for openness, and when we are focused on maintaining the status quo rather than open to His true movement and personality, He is limited in our midst.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a wise friend said to me not long ago, "The Spirit longs to do more in the Church than He is able to do." My friend didn't mean that God doesn't have the power to accomplish His will, but that the Spirit doesn't violate us. God looks for openness, and when we are focused on maintaining the status quo rather than open to His true movement and personality, He is limited in our midst.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Brian. My brother (D. Robinson) sent me your post because I recently published a book entitle, "30 Ways to Get Out of a R.U.T. (Really Ugly Time)." I appreciated your words. My book link is on my website, www.authoralanbinson.com. I am hoping the book will help a lot of people climb out of their ruts and live on top again. Check it out. And, if you like it, feel free to post the link to my book on your blog so others can find it and hopefully find their way out. Been there. Done that. Yes, I know Jeshua, and yes, his principles are the flavoring or the focus of the various rut escape plans. I wrote it so those who don't follow him could also benefit from the plans (to the degree possible without being connected to the vine). Thanks for being like-minded. (Alan Binson is my pen name)

    ReplyDelete