14 April 2014

On Being Unknown at My Former Church

        
Crossroads Church in Amsterdam, 13 April 2014













We are visiting Amsterdam for a week and worshipped with the great folks from Crossroads Church last Sunday. I pastored the church for 5 years from 2000 to 2005, and we were part of the leadership for 5 years before that as well.
       We have been back a number of times over the past 9 years. Each time there are more and more new people who "know not the former pastor!"
       I find this reality both refreshing and humbling. I like showing up at Crossroads and being able to sit in the back row with a handful of close friends from over the years. There is a certain freedom to that.
       It is also humbling and challenges my ego at times. The church marches on just fine, without me! It's quite amazing how that happens. It turns out that I am NOT that crucial as I thought. There was a time and place for my leadership, and now I am an observer to this community's life together.
       More than anything, I am very grateful ... for life-long friendships Susy and I developed over 10 years in Holland, for returning to a church community that is thriving and moving forward as they see fit, and for rich memories for our family.
       Susy and I drove into Amsterdam after church and walked around Leidseplein for a couple of hours, sat in a cafe and ate bitterballen and frites with mayonaise! It was nostalgic for me. I was quiet for the most part (which is unlike me). I felt at peace with my history in this place.


No comments:

Post a Comment