08 September 2010

What is Preaching?

Last week I preached for the first time in about 6 months. I think I had something of a breakthrough. Here's what I mean. If I don't preach again for along time that is OK, and if I am asked to preach again I will do so. In other words, I don't think that my identity is wrapped up in this thing called "preaching."
       Ian Pitt-Watson, who taught preaching at Fuller Seminary for many years, once said during class that, "you know what preaching is? It is one person working out his or her issues with God - and others - in front of a lot of people." I am convinced Pitt-Watson was right.
       At its very best preaching is a catalyst for people to consider the claims of Jesus in earnest. At its worst preaching is a "bully pulpit," a context for a person to take shots at people who have hurt, betrayed, abandoned or done other harmful things to the preacher or congregation.
       The pulpit can be a powerful tool for social change. William Wilberforce used it in the fight against slavery in England, Martin Luther King jr. used it in the fight for Civil Rights. Tremendous causes which have bettered society.
       And yet there are so many wounded pastor/preachers who work out their stuff by preaching. In a sense, preaching becomes self-medicating, self-soothing. It's the place we can "safely" show people how much we have been wronged without having a dialog about it. After all, preaching is a monolog.
       Perhaps I am growing up to the point where I just realize that working out my issues in front of hundreds of people is not the most healthy thing. I need to work out my issues with God and with people who know me best. I need restraint rather than sympathy when I preach. People need to be drawn to Jesus because of preaching, not drawn to preachers who are working out their stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment