05 September 2010

My cousin the restaurantuer

My cousin Susan owns two restaurants in Seattle, right next to each other. She is the most amazing restaurant owner you could ever meet. Once upon a time - more than 25 years ago - I worked at her restaurant in Juneau, Alaska. Feel like a lifetime ago.
       Susan's restaurant, Serafina, is in the Eastlake area of Seattle. Here's their vision for the place -
"Serafina’s philosophy is simple: Offer the freshest, highest quality ingredients, present the food in an honest and inviting way, and provide the casual warmth and soothing ambiance that echoes the welcoming embrace of an Italian home."
       I have to tell you - they have succeeded wildly! Not only is Serafina a great place to dine, Susan has created a community. A REAL community. A third space as it were.
       That's why it did not surprise me when I read Serafina's most recent newsletter in which Susan spoke candidly about battling a recurrence of of breast cancer. Here's what she said to the Serafina community:



For those of you who are wondering about my
new hair-do, it is more of a “hair-fallout” than a “do”.
In February I was unfortunately diagnosed with a
recurrence of the breast cancer I dealt with over 12 years
ago. The good news is the cancer is responding well to
the chemo and I am hoping to “kick cancer’s butt” again
and put it into remission very soon. The support of
my staff and of those of you who already know has
been tremendous, and I am grateful for all your love
and good wishes. Feel free to ask me how I am doing,
but please avoid questions like, “ how long do you have”
(yes, folks, I have been asked that). The truth, as we
all know, is that none of us do know, and it is again a
reminder to live each day to its fullest, as today is really

all we have."
       Here's to you, cuz, and kicking cancer's butt!



No comments:

Post a Comment