15 May 2011

I'm a Yankees Fan, but ...

I am a lifelong New York Yankees baseball fan. I grew up in the era of Thurman Munson (I remember where I was on that August day in 1978 when I heard that he had been killed in a plane crash), Roy White, and Bobby Mercer.
       I have endured the early 1970s when the Yankees were not very good, and before Steinbrenner made them into a powerhouse. I live with their inflated payroll even as I love the team.
        But after my post of the other day about CEO compensation, my friend Roger rightfully asked about salaries of professional athletes. And, lo and behold, now there is new drama in the Bronx with one of the beloved Yankees - Jorge Posada.
       It is just plain disgusting about Posada's little tantrum yesterday in which he refused to play. Posada is paid $79,000 per game (@!$#%) to hit a little white ball and to run around a diamond. That's $13.1 million for playing a 162-game season.
       I cannot find words to describe how distorted and warped a culture is where someone is paid $79,000 for 3 hours of playing a sport. Sorry, it's just morally wrong.
       Now I'm not just picking on Jorge Posada, with the exception that he needs to grow up and play the game he is employed to even if his batting average is horrible (which it is this year). But it's not just about Posada - it's about what we Americans believe to be worth our time and energy and money. And simply put, our priorities as a culture suck.

2 comments:

  1. yep - I hear you. But Posada's antics don't come close to Manny being Manny. I will never forget the time in Yankee Stadium, when he was called in to pinch hit for the BoSox in the 9th in a close game, and he looked at 3 pitches from Mo right down the middle of the plate. The bat never left his shoulders. His way of protesting for being called in on a day that was supposed to have a day off. Way to take one for the team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brian,

    Spot on!

    have you seen the new Nike advert where it basically claims that sport helps to save the world from poverty, discrimination , war etc...(link hereunder)and then shows all its stars who have made millions of $ is endorsements?. isnt that morally wrong?

    kids put so much of their hopes and dreams into becoming the next...(fill in the blank) that they forget to be themselves.

    Pretty scary.
    M
    http://nikebetterworld.com/

    ReplyDelete