16 May 2011

Why I Don't Want the World to End on May 21st

Some folks are predicting the world will end on May 21st. This is pretty wacky if you ask me. It also flies directly in the face of Jesus' own words in Matthew 24:36: “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father."
        So before we are so presumptuous and build a website called wecanknown.com let's take Jesus' words very seriously.
       I was at a cafe with some guys the other day and one of them brought up this prediction about Judgement Day being on May 21st. Another guy did not miss a beat and said, "Oh shoot, that ruins my Memorial Day barbecue plans!" Everyone laughed at the comment. I chuckled also, but it got me thinking ...
       I know that Scripture encourages us to pray for the return of Christ. John's closing words in the Revelation are "Come, Lord Jesus!" I want to hold onto this deep longing and desire to "be with Christ which is better by far," as the Apostle Paul said.
       But if I could be a bit on edge, I have pondered why I DON'T want the world to end on 21st. Here's a few:

  1. I want to grow old with the wife of my youth. Ya, I know that we will spend an eternity together in heaven and it will be WAY better than earth. But Susy and I have known each other more than half our lives and I really look forward to being old farts together!
  2. The mandate/commission is not fulfilled. Jesus said that the gospel would be proclaimed everywhere and then the end would come. I'm holding home to that. There are millions and millions of Jews and Billions of Muslims who do not yet know Jesus personally. I'm holding out hope for them;
  3. The world is incredibly fractured in our time (politically, socially, spiritually) and we may be close to a breakthrough point where people throw themselves on Jesus out of desperation from the mess they are in. It seems closer than ever! (at least from my limited vantage point)

1 comment:

  1. Brain - when do you officially become an old fart? You may be experiencing that already! Rob

    ReplyDelete