12 November 2010

The $27 Sports Car Rental

I got to the rental car counter in Tulsa yesterday afternoon to pick up my economy class car, pre-paid for a whopping $27.
       The young gal at the counter said they were out of economy and compact cars and would I mind driving either an SUV or a Mazda 3.
       "I'm not familiar with a Mazda 3," I said. "Do you have a picture?" She showed me the picture to the right and said there was only 2400 miles on this 2010 car. It was a no-brainer - I took the Mazda 3.
       I had to drive about 100 miles from Tulsa to Oklahoma to have dinner with good friends. As I drove on the interstate (long, flat boring roadway with few cars) I noticed that the speedometer went up to 160 miles per hour. Hmmmm, I wonder if that's just for show or if this car really goes that fast?
       I drove to Oklahoma City late in the afternoon, when more people were out on the road. So I kept my speed to 80 MPH, only 5 miles over the speed limit. Good self-discipline!
       On the way back to Tulsa - at 11pm and without a soul on the road - I just had to see how fast the road would go. I think it's a guy thing or something. I chickened out at 120MPH and took my foot off the accelerator. But it still could have gone a lot faster, I could tell.
       Boy, that car was SMOOTH AS SILK on the road!

4 comments:

  1. Yesssss! How fun, I would have done the same. :) a little exhilaration never hurt anybody...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehehe... We had the forerunner to the Mazda 3 when we lived in Holland. Driving on the autobarns, I found it would shudder at about 150 - 160 kph and then smooth out at 180 kph... and yes, smooth as silk, it felt like driving on air..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, Phil! It definitely is a guy thing I think! Blessings to you and family Down Under.

    ReplyDelete