11 September 2011

Where Were You?

I grew up hearing grown ups asking each other, "Where were you when JFK was shot?" Everyone knew exactly where they were.
       Today we ask each other, "Where were you when the planes flew into the Twin Towers?"
       I was standing in front of the Free University of Amsterdam in The Netherlands, putting money in a parking meter. A Dutch guy came up to and said, "Did you hear about the attack in New York City? Two planes hit the World Trade Center towers." That's where I was - on an unusually sunny day in Amsterdam.

3 comments:

  1. I remember being with you that day, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad woke me up with a phone call, "Turn on the television."
    Later, I drove to work in deserted downtown Denver, no traffic and no planes in the sky.
    We sat in the back office glued to another television, wondering what the world would become.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike/I were at Children's ICU watching mesmerized and helpless as our Lord saved Gretchen's life. We'd been at the hosp 14-days. We were watchg NY, etc. on a tv we'd hidden behind a curtain and cartoons w/ Gretchen on the other. I remember a Dr. walking through w/ students seeing only the cartoon. "Today we are at war, but it's nice to know that some things never change at Children's." Our Gretchen came home a couple of days later! Praise God! (Everything about those days seems so surreal.)

    ReplyDelete