23 February 2012

The Jewish man Next to me


The guy across the row on my flight.
The man next to me on the sleepy flight from Newark to London was a study in contradictions. He was clearly devout, religious. Stern and serious. And uninterested in having any conversation with me. I asked him what he was reading and he said to me, "None of your business."
       Ah yes, that's my people!!
       He read from a homemade Bible of sorts – a variety of pages in English and Hebrew which appeared to be his favorite passages of the Torah and the Talmud. I found myself envious.
       He was served his food first, because he had ordered the kosher variety. It looked bland.
       I sensed a certain disdain for the rest of us on the plane, as if we are the unclean or pagan. I wanted to tell him, “Hey, I’m Jewish too. I’m one of you.” But I just did not sense that would impress him much!

1 comment:

  1. You should have introduced yourself and said I'm from the Newman clan, N.York. How about you?
    If he is still nasty, tell him what makes him feel so special.

    ReplyDelete