27 February 2012

This Ministry Demands that We BE the Ministry

My time in Grasse, France ends today as we head to England for a leadership gathering. Those of us who have gathered here will be writing a declaration ... manifesto ... about our commitments to live and serve among "the other."
       I am struck by two thoughts as this ad hoc multi-ethnic, multi-cultural group leaves from this place:
       First, this type of ministry demands that we BE the ministry. What I mean is that it's all well and good to theorize and talk about massively divergent people being in community together. It is quite another thing to live it personally.
       Second, living and serving amongst the "other" complicates our lives, enriches our lives, and challenges us to "lose our lives" for the sake of others. I feel drained and empty after only 4 or 5 days with this diverse community here in Grasse. What would it be like if I lived in this context all the time?
       Increasingly I spend time, work with, and build community with people very different from myself - Arabs, a Persian, Europeans, people much wealthier, people poorer. They enrich my life, give me strength, and wipe me out!
       I also retreat to Denver, to my family, and to a fire pit in my backyard where "da boys" catch up with each other. We're not that diverse really, and that's OK too.

No comments:

Post a Comment