21 April 2012

Finally Home

I travel extensively and it takes me more than an hour to get home from the Denver airport once I land there.
     When I drive up to my house I breathe a sigh of relief and say to myself, "Finally home." It's a small pleasure of life for me.
     My friend Jodi is "finally home" today, in a radically FULL way. Jodi died earlier this week after battling cancer for 3 years. Today is a memorial service at the church in Amsterdam where I used to pastor.
     There is nothing more bittersweet than celebrating the home-coming of a follower of Jesus. I ache to be in Amsterdam with many dear friends as they worship God, celebrate Jodi's life (on earth and in eternity) and grieve their loss. I would like to give Stefan (Jodi's husband) a big hug, even though I am not a hugger.
     My heart and mind often dull the brilliance of "being with Christ, which is better by far" as the Apostle Paul said. I get caught up in living in the moment that I am lulled into thinking that this earth is as good as it gets. My friend Jodi knows better! I am comforted, confronted, and challenged by how Jodi lived and by the reality that she is now fully alive with Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment