04 May 2012

They Call Me "the Blue"


Two day ago I had a bizarre experience in which my two worlds collided.
       I spent a day in Indianapolis with the Crescent Project (which trains the Church to reach out to Muslims), flew back to Denver in the early evening and rushed to a baseball field to umpire a game.
       In the matter of about 4 hours I was sitting in a conference room strategizing about Islam and then calling a kid out at first base!
       One of the coaches walked up to me after the first inning and asked, "how does it feel to be called 'the blue?' when you guys where black most of the time?" I chuckled at the question, thinking to myself that nobody in Indianapolis thinks of me as "the blue!"
     I actually love the divergent parts of my life - I go from intense conversations about Islam, Judaism, and matters of faith to calling balls and strikes. I walk onto a baseball diamond, enjoy the game, and walk off and it's over. It clears my head from the complexities of Isaac and Ishmael!

No comments:

Post a Comment