08 October 2012

"Better is a handful of quietness..."

"Better is a handful of quietness than two hands full of toil and a striving after wind." ~ Ecclesiastes 4:6

I live a loud life - on the phone, on Skype, on planes, trains, and automobiles. I'm on the go a lot. I like it that way (most of the time).
       Then I read, "Better is a handful of quietness than two hands full of toil." Ugh! Hmmm....
       Some years ago I learned a valuable lesson when I "hit a wall" because I was living to loud, too fast, too frantic. It has to do with rhythm and pace.
       I can live loud for seasons but not for years. When I work I work hard. Then I need to  unplug and "play hard." For me this is what it looks like to be a recovering Type A personality.
       So I listen carefully to God's wisdom in the book of Ecclesiastes - to discover again and again a "handful of quietness" and to not allow myself to be overrun by "two hands full of toil." This is very good for my soul, especially as I turn 50 years old in a few hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment