18 October 2012

"Vote Biblical Principles"

It is SO politically incorrect to critique Billy Graham, of all people! But I don't know about Rev. Graham's statement on his website this week urging people to vote for candidates who base their decisions on certain biblical principles.
       This is Rev. Graham's statement:
"The legacy we leave behind for our children, grandchildren and this great nation is crucial. As I approach my 94th birthday, I realize this election could be my last. I believe it is vitally important that we cast our ballots for candidates who base their decisions on biblical principles and support the nation of Israel. I urge you to vote for those who protect the sanctity of life and support the biblical definition of marriage between a man and a woman. Vote for biblical values this November 6, and pray with me that America will remain one nation under God."
       What I hear Rev. Graham saying is that we should support candidates who support these specific positions, presumably in this priority order also:
1. Support the nation of Israel;
2. Protect the sanctity of life;
3. Support the biblical definition of marriage between a man and a woman
OK, I can (more or less) agree with these three things (as long as Israel is seen as a sovereign, modern nation-state and not as a fulfillment of biblical Israel).
       However, Rev. Graham made a decision to make a public statement urging people to vote for candidates who support "biblical principles." Well if you do that I think people should be challenged to support candidates who support all biblical principles that relate to public service. I can think of three others:
1. Caring for the "foreigner" in our midst;
2. Providing for the welfare of widows;
3. Caring for the poor and needy in society;
4. Support for all sovereign nations and support for all peoples rightfully seeking freedom (Western Sahara, Palestinian land, etc.)
       What probably would have been better is if Rev. Graham took a step back and did not enter the political fray. You are finishing well, Rev. Graham. Please continue to do so!


No comments:

Post a Comment