20 January 2014

A Forgotten President

Harry S. Truman served as President of the United States from 1945 to 1952. He was Vice President when Franklin Roosevelt died and assumed the responsibilities in April of that year.
       I am studying Truman as a historical mentor this year. I have read all of this State of the Union addresses and have done a biographical sketch on him.
       This week I will read David McCollough's biography of him (this is the seminal work on Truman's life).
       I have three first impressions of President Truman:
* First, he was an "in between" leader who was pivotal to the U.S. in a time of great transition to prosperity;
* Second, his contributions are often overlooked by the larger-than-life presidents of the 20th Century, namely FDR, Kennedy, (infamously) Nixon, and Reagan. I have a hunch that Truman would have wanted this way;
* Third, he lived for another 20 years after his presidency (1952 to 1973) and finished well in marriage, family, and being a citizen but not meddling in the affairs of state.
       I am looking forward to this year-long study of Truman.

No comments:

Post a Comment