21 May 2014

Symbols Speak Volumes

Today I did a social experiment and wore a yarmulke (kipper) and prayer undershirt worn by some Jewish men. I wanted to see how people related to me based on these symbols of the "religious life."
       Most people tried to ignore my dress, although just about everyone did a double-take to check out the tassels hanging from the prayer shawl.
       I spent a couple of hours at a hip cafe in Denver (Stella's) where a variety of people hang out. I was not the only person who stood out in one way or another, so a lot of people just took me for another person who was uniquely expressing himself. I appreciate that about Denver.
       There were some other responses from a few people as well:
* One person clearly walked the other way when they saw me and my dress. They seemed frightened or something;
* One person asked if I was an orthodox Jew or some other kind. I assume from this that she thinks I am "religious" in some way;
* Another person wondered if I have been wearing my yarmulke for a long time, or if it was a new thing for me.
       I had the impression that many people looked at me and thought I was religious, and perhaps that I have "faith." Most seemed very respectful.
       I wish that we could redeem some religious "artifacts" such as prayer shawls and yarmulkes. Several times during the day I had a glimpse of the very good and positive that these can bring.
       For one thing, the yarmulke reminded me that I am always under God's providence, always under "his wing" in a sense.
       The prayer undershirt reminded me to be prayerful toward people around me - while standing in line for coffee at Stella's I overheard a gal telling her friend that she had just broken up with her boyfriend that day. I prayed for both of them quietly.
        I am thinking that some time I should wear the North African head dress that I got a couple of years ago. I'll see how people respond to that artifact!





1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete