26 June 2011

Pondering ... Frank Laubach

I do not know the writing of Frank Laubach. He was quoted to me a few weeks ago over a good cup of Dutch coffee with a friend in Holland. My friend followed up our get together with an email quoting Laubach.
       "We ought to give ourselves up to God in things that are temporal as well as things that are spiritual. We should seek our satisfaction only in fulfilling His will. If He leads us into suffering or if He leads us into comfort, our satisfaction should still only be for the fulfilling of His will, for both suffering and comfort are the same to a soul truly resigned to Him."
       "Come to the Lord, ask Him not to deliver you from this situation but ask Him for strength to bear this thing. Ask Him to give you a deep and strong love for Him. Ask Him to give you everything that would please Him. Ask Him to give you what He will and to do with you what He wishes as long as He pleases."
       "The Lord knows best what is needful for us. What He does, He does for our good. If we really knew just how much He loves us, we would always be willing to receive anything from His hand. We would receive the bitter and the sweet without distinction. Anything, yes everything would please us just because it came from Him."
      When I first read these quotes I was pretty annoyed, just to be honest with you. I felt preached at, felt as if my friend and Laubach did not know the first thing of mine and other's situations.
       It has now been a couple of weeks since that coffee and receiving that email. These words are beginning to live within me, to somewhat settle me. I am even growing grateful, dar I say, for these words of rebuke, comfort, and challenge.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Brian! I've read Laubach before, but can always use more of his wisdom in my life. It is hard to swallow initially, but the truth of what he says does sink in after awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Freudian slip is showing...did you mean to say "annoyed" instead of "anointed"? Anointed turns out to be true in the end, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rae - That is SO funny that I typed "anointed" instead of annoyed! Freudian or whatever kind of slip! (I changed the type, just for my own ego!)

    ReplyDelete