22 June 2012

Why I don't "throw in the towel"

I hear about men and women who have served God in ministry for many years and then "throw in the towel." They chuck ministry.
     Anyone who knows me knows that I have thought about throwing in the towel many times. I used to "dream" about becoming a trash collector in southern California. Think about it: You interact primarily with inanimate objects (trash), you get to ride on the outside of the truck hanging on for dear life, and you get health benefits!
     I was sitting with a friend just the other day and he recounted how a person we both know well is thinking about chucking his role as a senior leader for a ministry. I was saddened by this ... especially because I can relate to what this person is experiencing.
     So why not throw in the towel? I don't throw in the towel really for 3 main reasons:
1. I have a stewardship of more than a quarter century of following Jesus and serving his purposes. I don't want to waste that;
2. I believe in Satan (the devil) and I just don't want him to win a battle over me;
3. God seems intent on using people with doubts, questions, stumblings and bumblings who are about to throw in the towel. Somehow He wants to uses Moses who is the reluctant leader, Jonah who runs away from God, and Peter who denies Jesus three times.
     There are a handful of people who check out this blog who are about to throw in the proverbial towel. PLEASE DO NOT DO IT!
     Not now, not today.
          Let tomorrow's cares take care of themselves. Wait. Pray. Get counsel.



No comments:

Post a Comment