08 June 2012

Something About Bagels in New York

On our way to visit my parents on Long Island this week, Susy and I stopped at Sunset Plaza Bagel, which has been there since the Flood (of Noah!). Well at least 40 years.
     I have vivid memories of getting bagels there and bringing them home. The memories are rich and good and tasty! Those are some amazing bagels!
     While munching on our bagels at the bagel shop I asked Susy, "Are these bagels qualitatively better than bagels in other parts of the world, or is it my imagination and the cultural context of actually being in this bagel shop?"
     Susy, clearly enjoying her bagel, confirmed that these bagels are just way better than bagels in other parts of the world.
     We brainstormed why they are better, and I also asked my parents. The common folklore is that bagels baked in the New York City area are better than other places because of the water used to make them.
     Really? New York water makes the bagels taste better? All I can think about is the East River, which is filthy! There has to be a better reason than the water for why the bagels in New York are better than in other places. Any guesses or hypotheses?



No comments:

Post a Comment