13 August 2012

Halls of "Fame"

We strolled the halls of Silverado care facility with Nate this week. I took my time looking at the displays outside each person's room.
     Echoes of lives of purpose and vision and service.
     Nate waited patiently for me as I looked closely at photos, medals, certificates, pictures of family. Memories of days filled with joy and hope.
     It is twilight for the people represented in those displays. The light is dimming, they communicate less and in different ways, they have gone to "another country" for the time being. But that is only a sub-plot to the main story of their lives.
     This week I felt the importance and beauty of those lives as we strolled the halls with our friend Nate.
     We got to Nate's room and there was the display of his life. I love the 8x10 framed photo from his retirement from the Air Force. And the signed photo NASA astronauts who he helped succeed in their mission. Wow, was I proud to be standing next to Nate at that moment!
     Over the past years I have had the privilege of taking a lot of walks with Nate - once when we visited his family in Princeton, many times walking his neighborhood in Colorado, walking our dogs around the lake in Evergreen, and now the stroll through the "halls of fame" at Silverado.
     I am humbled to walk with greatness.


No comments:

Post a Comment