10 August 2012

Overheard the Other Day

Sitting at lunch the other day at a home for people with dementia, I overheard  a couple who were having their meal together. I figured out that the couple had been married many years, that he is living in the home and she comes to visit him every day.
     Husband to wife: I want to make love to you right here, on the table!;
     Wife to husband: Yesterday you wanted to divorce me.
     If you are wondering if you can find humor in this, PLEASE DO!
     What I find beautiful about it is that most of us who are married and do not have dementia have days when we want to have a similar dialogue with our spouse. Perhaps it has taken this couple their entire married life to be so forthright and vulnerable with each other.
     "Each time of life has its own kind of love." ~ Leo Tolstoy

No comments:

Post a Comment