30 August 2012

The Challenge of Inclusion

Last weekend I found myself sitting around the table with an Afghan and an Arab. What was a nice Jewish boy like me doing in a place like this?
       What's even more bizarre is that we had a true kinship, bond, connection, vision! How did that happen?
       As my friend Aram says in the title of his book, "The answer is always Jesus!" The three of us follow and love Jesus and have submitted ourselves to him. And so in a very real sense we can submit ourselves to one another.
       I have found that I have the opportunity to grow and mature the most when I am inclusive and with people who are very different from me. Some examples:
* Fouad is a Lebanese Arab who grew up during the civil war in Lebanon. He was there when the Israelis invaded his country a couple of times. He has some legit reasons to be angry with Jews. We work closely together in ministry;
* Roger is a card-carrying NRA member from Texas. A Republican, conservative. I am none of those things. We have built an incredibly strong friendship over our years in Denver. He won't show me his guns because he is concerned that I will UNfriend him! (but I won't)
* Mariya is an Afghan (Persian), about half my age, she has been a follower of Jesus only about 2 years. She has this tremendous evangelistic zeal to share her faith with everyone and anyone. We might as well have grown up on different planets!;
* Jim and his wife are my liberal buds. I don't mention her name only because her dad is way conservative and it might cause some tension in the family! I cannot hang out too much with Jim because we just think we are right all the time!
       This is my point: Living in diversity and being inclusive demands that we HAVE convictions, not that we abandon them. Living in diversity means that we be open to learn from others, to listen carefully, to be slow to judge and to not be judgmental. I need to be in community with people who are very different than me. It's humbling in the best sense of the word.
       I am more Christian (wanting to truly, fully follow Christ) now that I rub shoulders with more and more people who are not Christian - Jews and Muslims in particular. I want them to follow Christ also - but not because I am right and they are wrong. Rather I want them to be fully alive (in Christ), to learn to live in diversity and to become inclusive (Jews and Muslims generally are not good at the diversity piece), to experience a taste of heaven on earth. I love that the book of Revelation tells us that heaven will be made up of people from every culture, every language (ta ethne in Greek)!

No comments:

Post a Comment