03 September 2012

We Jews Are Taking over the World!

Excuse the blurry photo, but I just snapped it quickly with my iPhone. It is a reminder to me of how influential we Jews are in the world.
       This week at the University of Denver there is a Resource Fair, with a variety of companies, students organizations, and faith-based groups present.
       There were three tables for faith-based groups, TWO of which were for Jewish groups! The third table was a mish-mash of "other" groups such as Christians, Buddhists, Hindus, and the campus chaplain. By the way, I did not see any Muslim groups represented.
       Hillel and Chabad (the two Jewish groups) had their own tables (White and yellow table clothes in photo). The Chabad table was staffed by a real rabbi, wearing tallis, yarmulke, and boasting a big busy beard.
       Chabad is having a Challah and Matzah Ball soup dinner this coming Friday evening for Shabbat. I don't think the Christians, Buddhists, or Hindus are doing anything like that. I kind of want to go - I'm sure the soup will be good!
       We stopped and spoke with the rabbi for a few minutes - a very personable guy. He offered us some classic Jewish wisdom, "Never go to a sabbath meal at a skinny rabbi's house." Needless to say, he was not skinny.


No comments:

Post a Comment