11 September 2012

A New York Jew Reflects on 9/11

"Where were you on 9/11?" I remember exactly where I was - standing outside the Free University of Amsterdam putting money in a parking meter. It was about 3:30pm local time. A man came up to me and asked if I had heard that two planes had struck the World Trade Center towers in New York.
     I remember asking him, "TWO planes hit EACH tower?" He replied with a frantic, "Yes."
     I got home as soon as possible and watched on the BBC and CNN as events unfolded. I was horrified, almost sick to my stomach.
     I was also keenly aware that I was (and am) American, Jewish, and from New York. In the ensuing days I felt this intensely, as my kids and I were interviewed on Dutch TV and our church held something of a memorial service the following Sunday.
     I still process the events of 9/11 through a New York Jewish lens. The Towers were iconic symbols of New York. When they were destroyed something deep inside every New Yorker was pierced.
     The fact that the planes which struck the Towers were hijacked by Middle Easterners from Muslim backgrounds has heightened my sensitivity of being Jewish and processing 9/11.
     In some warped and bizarre way, 9/11 provided rationale for my suspicion of Arabs and people from Muslim backgrounds. The tragedy of 9/11 gave me "permission" to hate and to seek vengeance.
     The "problem" (which is not ultimately a problem at all) is that I follow a Jewish rabbi who teaches me that the only way to overcome hatred is with love. This rabbi - Jesus the Christ (Messiah) - tells me that His Kingdom is the very opposite of what 9/11 represents. His Kingdom is one in which those who have strayed the most from God are sought out to be saved from their sin and brokenness. His Kingdom is not so much for the righteous, but rather for the sinner.
     Somewhere in the midst of trying to find a place in my heart for the 9/11 tragedy I have been challenged to let go of hatred and seek Truth about Jesus and His Kingdom. It is a Kingdom for Jews and Gentiles and, yes, Muslims. It is a Kingdom for all peoples who follow this Jesus and are saved by grace through him.
     I still cannot separate out being a New York Jew from the events of 9/11. This tragedy has caused unique pain in many people, especially in New York Jews. It pierces our hearts in a very painful way. I just need to remember that someone else's heart was pierced far more dramatically and painfully, for the sins of the world. 9/11 reminds me of our great and desperate need of Jesus - Savior, Lord, King.


No comments:

Post a Comment