21 September 2012

Pastrami on Rye ... extra mustard

My colleague Paul and I went to Shapiro's Deli in Indianapolis yesterday. I had pastrami on rye, extra mustard. He had a Reuben.
       Delicious!
       I walked into the deli and expected people working there to be Jewish, and to have strong New York accents. They were neither Jewish nor did they have accents. And... nobody was rude!
       Paul and I walked up to the counter and a nice young woman asked if we were ready to order. I said that we were not yet and she said, "That's OK, take your time."
       I knew right away, "we are not in New Yawk anymore!" This brief encounter made me suspicious about the quality of the pastrami. Somehow pastrami and corned beef tastes more authentic if you are insulted first by your server.
       But my fears were calmed moments later when I saw a sign on the counter that said, "Beef Tongue, $22.95 per lb." Ah yes, made me feel at home with my people!

No comments:

Post a Comment