20 September 2012

The Passing of a Quiet Saint

I encountered Jan Cowles only three times. Oh how I wish it had been more.
       Jan went to be with the Lord earlier this week after battling cancer. I had heard of him from numerous good friends who were very close with Jan.
       The first time I met Jan was at a little coffee shop where he was playing guitar along with our mutual friend Jim. I do not remember speaking with Jan that night, but I do remember no less than 5 people at the cafe mentioning what a gem of a guys he is, how gracious and gentle of spirit.
       The next time I saw Jan was at a conference on the Bible and the Holocaust. I had gotten hot under the collar about some of the comments from attendees, and I spoke up loud and clear. Jan was sitting in the row behind me (which I did not know). During a coffee break I felt a hand on my shoulder and a soft whisper from behind, "Can I sit down with you, Brian?" It was Jan. I melted into the seat. 
       We spoke for a few minutes, he asked a lot of questions, peered deeply into my eyes. It felt like I was meeting Jesus. Really.
       The last time I met up with Jan was less than a year ago at my office. He came to find out about Shalom Village and my work with Muslims and Jews. I seem to remember that I did most of the talking, he listened intently, and we prayed together. As he walked out he wished me well. My life was full of shalom at that moment, in large part because of this encounter with Jan.
       One important measure of a life is what a person leaves behind. In a word, LEGACY. I spent this evening reading tributes to Jan on his Facebook page. Here is a man who has finished oh so well - intimate with God and Jesus, intimate with family and friends, having deeply impacted many people's lives for the good, a humble and kind servant.
       I will miss Jan, even though I hardly knew him. For those closest to him I pray for God's grace to carry you in these days of grief.

No comments:

Post a Comment