16 September 2012

Seeing in a Different Way

I love the film, "Dead Poets Society." It is one of my all-time favorites.
       One of the wonderful scenes is when Mr. Keating (Robin Williams) stands on a desk in his classroom.
       The dialog goes like this:
   [Keating stands on his desk
   John Keating: Why do I stand up here? Anybody? 
   Dalton: To feel taller! 
   John Keating: No! 
   [Dings a bell with his foot
   John Keating: Thank you for playing Mr. Dalton. I stand upon my desk to remind myself that we must constantly look at things in a different way.

       Keating is talking about PERSPECTIVE. Gaining better and better perspective is a core part of maturity. We have to look at issues that really matter in life from different perspectives which might challenge even long-held views.
       Let me be the first to say that this freaks me out a bit. I like the comfort of living in my pre-conceived and long-established beliefs and prejudices. Thank you very much.
       It just seems to me that one of God's purposes in sending Jesus to earth was to shatter people's long-held views on things. The Jews were waiting for a Messiah who would be a military conqueror who would crush the Roman invasion of the Holy Land. Jesus was anything but a military conqueror. But conquer he did - by laying down his life, dying on a cross!
       I need to resist the "pack mentality" and keep working at perspective and charting a path that is different than the one traveled by others. I need to learn to stand on desks even when everyone else is sitting in seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment