28 September 2012

Tonight is Peace Talks!

Tonight we host the first "Peace Talks" as part of Shalom Village and our regular Friday gatherings in Denver.
       We will have a dialog between a Jew (me), an Arab (Fouad), and an Afghan/Persian (Mariya). It is an unscripted conversation about faith, culture, and our growing friendship - all under the umbrella of following Jesus as Lord and being part of His Kingdom coming on earth as it is in heaven.
       I am both expectant and anxious. Part of me only wants a few people to show up (and people that I know well). Another part of me wants there to be a larger group with a lot of diversity of opinion. But no mud slinging, please.
       Once again I am sensitive to the fact that most of us stay in our cultural and religious bubbles - Jews with jews, Arabs with Arabs, Muslims with Muslims, etc. It is rare indeed for a Jew, an Arab, and an Afghan to share an evening together and to learn to listen to each other's stories and to understand a bit more of their worldviews.
       I will let you know how Peace Talks goes tonight. Check the blog over the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment