19 March 2012

Going on the Record: Peyton Manning is a No Go

I am disappointed that the Denver Broncos will sign Peyton Manning as their quarterback and will thus release Tim Tebow.
While it is predictable that John Elway (VP of football operations for Denver) would make this move, I think it is wrong for a number of reasons.
       First, it gives no value to Tim Tebow's character as a person and player. In the end I don't think Elway had a clue how to deal with a player such as Tebow who refused to complain or attack critics. Tebow's class as a person freaked out Elway, and Tebow's popularity with fans caused Elway to feel stuck with him,
       Second, Peyton Manning has had a very serious injury related to his neck. I doubt that he should ever play again. If he gets hit hard by a defender he could be paralyzed. Does John Elway want to carry that risk? I suppose he does.
       Third, Peyton Manning will get a 5-year contract which will take him to 41 years of age as a quarterback. Really? 41 years old with a guy who has had three neck surgeries.
       I realize that professional sports is all about competing and winning a championship. I think the Denver Broncos chose a guy who used to be able to throw a football and may still be able to, and gave up on a guy who has not been able to throw a football well but may be able to learn. Both of these men are winners - I just think Tebow is a "winner" in so much more than football.







1 comment:

  1. I completely agree. At this point I'm happy for Tebow though as long as he goes somewhere that believes in him. The Broncos staff was never really behind him and I believe he deserves better than that. I will always root for him no matter where he ends up (hopefully Jacksonville with Jones-Drew). As great as he was on the field and entertaining to watch, his contributions off of it were/are even greater. Any team/city will be lucky to have him.

    ReplyDelete