29 March 2012

"What do you DO?"

I have heard the question regularly in the past weeks and months. A friend who lives in Europe and serves an immigrant community is asked the question by people quite a bit. My friend and I joke with each other and ask the question to one another:
       So, what do I DO?
Here is my somewhat unconventional answer:
I help people confront their prejudices about people unlike themselves.
Huh? Ok, ok. So what do I really do?
       I really try to help people confront their prejudices about people unlike themselves.
       Most especially I desire to help Christians - those who follow Jesus - deal with their own "stuff" toward people they would otherwise dislike, or even despise.
       Some Christians have a "naive realism" towards certain cultures - for example, perhaps they believe that because the Jews are God's "chosen people" they are above correction. Or perhaps they believe that because someone is a Muslim he is "beyond hope."
       This is all about the walls we build between those who are very different than us. We can think that the walls protect us (high fences make good neighbors), but in the end they only isolate us.
       The apostle Paul tells us that Jesus is our peace, and that he is all about breaking down walls of hostility between Jew and Gentile (Ephesians 2). But this can only happen because of Jesus - the prince of Peace - and not because of some well-meaning humanitarian efforts.  The walls are simply too strong for that.
       So as my friend in Europe and I ask each other, What do you do??? 

1 comment:

  1. may the Prince of peace Himself make you succesful inthe things you DO!

    ReplyDelete