12 July 2012

My "Jewish Problem" and bin Laden

I want to attempt to give voice to something deep in the soul of many Jewish people. It comes to the forefront when a person such as Osama bin Laden is killed. I might fumble and stumble over my words about this, but I will try to give a "primal groaning" to my thoughts.
       My Jewishness screams out, "Yes, they nailed that mad man!" After all, bin Laden was a man who sought the destruction and elimination of every Jew on the planet, and of the nation of Israel as well (along with many other peoples). It is quite a bizarre feeling to be part of a people group who are so despised. It can cause havoc with your innards! Seriously.
       The "problem" I have is that I follow Jesus, and he does not want me to remain with a "posture of persecution" (my quotation marks, not Jesus'!). That is something we Jews have mastered - we have been persecuted many, many times over the centuries and we know what it is to be victims of mad men and run-a-mok regimes.
       I hide behind that cruel history, and rationalize my desire for vengeance. My friend Dan captured this in a comment he made a while ago: "too many of us have revenge in view with Bin Laden's death, rather than simply allowing our governments to pursue justice." Yes, that's where my heart goes - to revenge and vengeance.
       So back to my dilemma about following Jesus. It's challenging to follow Jesus and to be his talmid (student) on my good days, let alone when I want revenge! His teaching in the Sermon on the Mount blows my away; quite honestly I am undone by his words when I relate them to the situation with someone like bin Laden.
       In my own skin (flesh), I get a sick sense of satisfaction from the thought that bin Laden is burning in Hell. That's certainly not the attitude that Jesus wants us to have.
       At the same time I don't want to have the pendulum of my heart swing to where some well-meaning people would - since God is "making all things new" that means ultimately people such as bin Laden will be saved. That does no justice to the biblical idea of judgement.
       I am caught in my Jewishness sometimes, having a pity party over being a member of a persecuted people. My prayer is that God would supernaturally work in my heart so that  I might somehow, in some ways live the words of Jesus in his sermon on the mount.

No comments:

Post a Comment