11 July 2012

Salam Sounds a lot Like Shalom

The Arabic word for peace is "salam." Hmmm, sounds very similar to the Hebrew word for peace: "shalom."
       My new friend Rani - an Arab Christian from Nazareth who I met at the Sahara Challenge training last month - runs a ministry called SALAM in the Holy Land.
       I took to Rani right away when I first met him at a conference last October. We are unlikely friends. Our personal history does not draw us to each other. In fact, my Jewish sub-culture tells me he is not to be trusted. Perhaps even suspected of something.
       And yet Rani runs an outfit called PEACE IN THE HOLY LAND! Nice name.
Confronting name.
   Challenging name.
      Comforting name.
         Supernatural name.
       Here is what "levels the playing field" for Rani and me: Jesus.
       Here is what allows us to embrace each other as brothers: Jesus.
       Here is what causes us to encourage one another in the pursuit of Salam/Shalom: Jesus.
For [Jesus] himself is our peace [salam/shalom], who has made the two one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility. ~ Eph. 2:14

No comments:

Post a Comment