17 July 2012

The Humbling of an Umpire

Increasingly this year I have umpired higher level games, i.e. 14-year-olds through high school and adult baseball as well. I like the higher levels.
     This week I am working a tournament which I worked last year. Last year's age brackets were 11-15 years old. I worked 12 and 13 year olds. I figured I would do the older kids again this year.
     So when I received my assignment and saw that I was working 10-year-olds my jaw dropped. When you are a 10 year old you have a tendency to do a few inappropriate things in the midst of a game. These things actually happened in the 2 games I worked today:
     - The second baseman had to go to the bathroom and was increasingly "holding himself" in his privates, until his coach got sick of seeing this and took him out of the game. Presumably the boy went to the bathroom;
     - Three hit batters, three boys writhing in pain and crying;
     - 10-year-olds don't tie their shoes much. I think mom does it for them, except during baseball games.
     - Some cry when they miss a ball on the field, although they fake that they are injured so they can cry without shame. "Look, I got hurt, I can have a good cry."

No comments:

Post a Comment