27 October 2010

The Greatest Leaders Did Not Have to

This idea came to me today. I'm not sure why it has not until now. Here it is:
The greatest of all leaders did not have to be.
       What I mean is that true greatness is not about having to be great. The great leaders of history often shunned the spotlight, did not call attention to themselves, were not ego driven by having to lead, did not have messiah complexes.
       This is the essence of HUMILITY - becoming one who serves and does not seek to be served.
       One who gives away because he or she knows they cannot hold onto it anyway.
       One who sacrifices greatly for the sake of the cause (to quote Mr. Spock, "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.")
       I have known only a handful of such leaders: My mentor and colleague Homer who I knew from Geneva days 25 years ago is one of them; My friend David who I am privileged to spend time with nowadays is another one.
       These people are leaders not because they have to be, they are leaders because God elevates people to positions of authority as they humble themselves.
       From my perspective this is true greatest.

No comments:

Post a Comment