25 October 2010

On Heroic Leadership

This week I am going to start to read two books with identical titles. They are both called, "Heroic Leadership." The first is by Chris Lowney and focuses on the leadership of St. Ignatius of Loyola and the Jesuits. My friend Brian Rice of Leadership Connextions has turned me onto Ignatius and his exercises.
       The second book was published in the past 4 or months and is by William Cohen. The sub-title is "Leading with Integrity and Honor." Cohen is a retired Major General of the U.S. Air Force. This book is his 54th published work!
       Cohen looks at heroic leadership in military contexts and how those characteristics and lessons can be applied to other situations such as in corporations and non-profits.
       I love reading about heroic leaders. They inspire me and call me to a level of living that is truly fulfilling.
       To observe a leader who is humble, self-less, full of integrity, true to his or her own core values ... is thoroughly life-giving to me. Christian organizations and the Church need many more heroic leaders.

No comments:

Post a Comment