16 October 2010

Slowing Down in Small Town America

I spent yesterday driving around small towns in the Adirondack Mountains with my friend Jim. We had a wonderful time together – stopping at a self-service pumpkin patch, visiting the General Stores in a couple of villages, going to the Friday Fish Fry at the Oxbow Inn.
       It was a day for an entirely different pace for us – city guys that we are. Small town America is so unique –
* It is truly QUIET here
* People know each other’s names and tell each other (their) stories of life
* Inanimate objects – such as buildings and tractors and plows and houses and parts – are a major topic of conversations
* I realize how tense and fast-paced I live because of the context with unhurried small town living
       As attractive as these small towns are in some ways, I probably could not live in one of them. The town of Piseco, NY has about 250 voters, according to the waitress at the Oxbox Inn last night. There was 4 times this number in my church in Amsterdam! Somehow I think living alongside only 250 people would be a bit claustrophic for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment