18 January 2011

Distortions Created in Our Cyber-World

According to my Facebook account I have 687 "friends" as of today. Ya right, and I have great swampland for sale in Florida!
       What is more sad than thinking I have 687 friends is hoping for 13 more people to "friend" me so I can reach 700! Then I can be in the "700 Club." Oh wait, that's a TV show.
       Here's another distortion of our cyber-world. On Skype I can make myself "invisible." Wow, isn't that great? I can see you but you cannot see me. So for all you invisible people on my Skype contact list, "come out come out wherever you are!" I promise to keep myself visible on Skype and not disappear to my friends. After all, some of us have abandonment issues.



2 comments:

  1. Cyberworld and distortions...how about the pervasive behavior of cyber bullying. Heard a very insighteful piece last week on BBC World Service on this awful way to harass, incite teens and pre-teens to depression and suicide. Jefferson County Colorado school system has two very watchful and saavy law enforcement folks who enforce this behavior as illegal, leading to suspensions from school.
    John Moyer

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's incredible John. Thanks for the heads up on this.

    ReplyDelete