27 July 2011

With Deep Gratitude for John Stott

Church statesman and theologian John Stott died today at age 90. He died quietly at home with his family, listening to Handel's Messiah. John Stott finished well.
       The very first theology classes I ever took were on cassette tape and talk by John Stott. They were on the Sermon on the Mount and the Pastoral Espistles. That was 1988 and I did not know how precious those tapes were in my life. Stott was a brilliant expounder of Scripture. Never flashy and never calling attention to himself. He just loved God, loved the Scriptures, and had an amazing heart for Evangelism in the 20th century.
       My friend Troy captured sentiments that I share about Stott's life. You can read Troy's thoughts at his blog HERE.
      I am deeply grateful for the ordinary greatness of John Stott. He served Jesus with all his heart and God has now welcomed him home. I am sure it is a beautiful homecoming.

1 comment:

  1. I am a great admirer of John Stott

    Amrita

    www.yesugarden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete