18 February 2011

The Film "Juno"

I really like the film "Juno." I feel a bit awkward saying that, almost embarassed. Some will think I am "off my rocker," that I am "one apple short of a bushel," that the lift is "stuck between floors." You get the idea.
       I am not advocating teen pregnancy, nor am I advocating the lifestyles of the characters. But there are some brilliant and insightful themes in this film and these have captured my heart:
  • Bleeker's commitment to Juno. The fact that he is such a nerd makes it all the more special. And ya just gotta love the guy's running outfit!
  • Juno's grief at the end of the film over giving her baby away, all the while it being bittersweet because the baby has a loving adoptive mother;
  • Juno's father and step-mother are just classic characters. I love how the dad relates to Juno - raw, real, hopeful, realistic, broken and healing.
Such is my sacrilege for today!

3 comments:

  1. Brian, I do think you are off your rocker, but not because you like the movie Juno. There are many, many other reasons for this assessment. Many. :-)

    ReplyDelete