11 February 2011

"I feel sick to my stomach"

The conference on the Holocaust began last night with a talk by Dr. Susanna Kokkonen, Director of Christian Friends of Yad Vashem. She recounted the pre-Word War II movement in Germany from hatred of Jews to their murder.
       I felt sick to my stomach within the first 15 minutes of her hour-long talk. Sometimes I forget the depths of horror of genocide. What struck me so strongly was how quickly a culture can act on its hatred. Consider:
* In 1929, the Nazi Party won only 3% of the vote in national elections
* In 1932, the Nazi Party won 18% of the vote
* In January 1933, the Nazi Party won 37% of the vote and Adolph Hitler became Chancellor
* In April 1933 (2 months after Hitler's rise to power) the first concentration camp at Dacau was opened.
Insane! Speechless.



No comments:

Post a Comment