23 March 2011

Learning by Listening

One of my mentors many years ago told me that great leaders learn much by listening well. That mentor, Homer Dowdy, was an intent listener himself. He was 40 years my senior and soaked in everything that I said in many conversations, even though I was a "green" and inexperienced 22-year-old journalist.
       I am trying to grow in my auditory learning abilities, by listening to books on CD. I started by listening to John Grisham novels as I drove places, although this could become dangerous as I got into an intense scene in the book and almost drove off the road a couple of times!
       Now I have "graduated" to listening to non-fiction. I have started with Philip Yancey's book, "What Good is God?" It is also read by Yancey, which I find much more compelling than if some actor or professional reader did the recording.
       Listening to a book has its benefits and its drawbacks. The major drawback is that it is difficult to take notes and "absorb" what is being communicated. A major benefit I have found is that I listen best when I am still and focused, two traits that are excellent when I am in a conversation and I want to listen well.

No comments:

Post a Comment