28 March 2011

An Umpire's Journal: Games in March

You might know the expression, "March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb." I don't think there is anyspiritual significance to this statement, but rather it is about cold weather at the beginning of the month and warm weather near the end.
       I have never been so mindful of March weather until I started umpiring baseball in Colorado. Last Friday I worked a game at 5pm in Golden. The temperature was 55 degrees when we started. Then it got cloudy ... and windy ... and darker. I think the temperature dropped to about 45 degrees and the wind picked up to 15-20 mph.
       Now try to call safe-out at a close place at first base as the wind is in your face, your hat is about to fly off, and just about everyone on the field is pretty grumpy due to the weather!
       The key to surviving March baseball games in Colorado is GOOD GLOVES! Forget the fact that it's difficult to hold a ball-strike indicator when you wear them. Gloves are a lot better than the indicator sticking to the palm of your hand because it froze to your skin!
       I don't have any games to work for the last week of March. Steven and I will work a tournament in South Metro April 2-3. Hopefully April will be a lot warmer than March.

1 comment:

  1. i'd be calling a lot more strikes just to get the game over and to get warm.

    ReplyDelete