27 March 2011

A Very Good Read from Rob

Rob Fairbanks (president of Christian Associates) wrote a blog entry the other day that's very important, in a lot of ways. Check it out here. The quote from Francis Schaeffer is such a great reminder to me about what really matters in life and ministry. Even though Schaeffer penned these words a generation ago they are still prophetic today.
       I won't repeat Rob's commentary (read what he wrote!), but will add a personal comment:
       Over the past 25 or so years I have had the privilege of serving in several churches. Perhaps what I am most proud of is that I served in one of them as senior pastor and transitioned out after 5 years and the community did not fall apart. On the contrary, it continued on in its mission without very much disruption.
       Now I want to be honest and forthright about this: It was humbling and a "blow to my ego" that the church did NOT need me that much! I'm not proud of this, but I mention it because it relates to the "disease" of the Evangelical Church in the West  and the cult of personality. Many of us in leadership need to be needed - desperately.
       One of the largest churches in Denver says this on their website when you click on "About Us:"
WHAT WE ARE KNOWN FOR
Our Senior Pastor
Children
Adults
Music
Youth
Missions and Outreach 
       What is your church known for? I hope Jesus ranks in the top three and that mission might come before the senior pastor, children, adults, music, and youth.
       Here's my crass take on it - many of us want a superstar/rockstar as our leaders in church. We want to be "successful" and entertained and we make our leaders into uber-humans. And in doing so we get off mission, and make most especially make Jesus less than he is.

1 comment:

  1. I'd love to read the post you mentioned, Brian, but the link didn't work. :-(
    btw...thanks for taking the time to post every day. I love the variety and the way you make me think about things. Thanks!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete