09 March 2011

Ash Wednesday

I have no previous tradition of Ash Wednesday. Jews don't celebrate the beginning of Lent!
       A few years ago I participated in my first Ash Wednesday service. It was at Lookout Mountain Church and my friend and co-pastor Aram (who comes from an Armenian Orthodox background) administered the ashes to my forehead.
       At first I thought, "do I need to cross myself, or genuflect, or say to him in response, 'l'chaim!'" I didn't do anything. Just let his word to me sink in:
"From dust you have come, to dust you will return." Bombshell! Those words cut through my self-sufficiency, control, and sense of self-worth. There I was with a cross of ashes on my forehead beginning a new tradition of these 40 days of Lent.
       This year I am doing something new in this season. I will attend early morning prayers at the Next Level Church for the next 4 Fridays, 7:30 to 8:00am. A good way to end a work-week and begin the weekend during this important season.

No comments:

Post a Comment