12 April 2011

Bobby Clinton - Back to Basics

Brian with Bobby Clinton
I attended Bobby Clinton's retirement celebration last night. It was a great evening in many, many ways. Bobby spoke briefly, highlighting six core leadership values that he hopes is part of his legacy.
       Three of these values hit me right between the eyes, and were a sobering reminder about my own leadership:
   1) Leadership ultimately flows out of being more than doing;
   2) Over a lifetime a leader must be transformed into the image of Christ by the Holy Spirit;
   3) A leader should minister with gifted power, i.e. through spiritual authority.
       I sat at a table with Terry Walling and Frank Hankins, two men with whom I studied under Bobby 20 years ago. These two guys are walking out these values in their own lives and it was a special time to be with them and see how God is working in their lives.
       Here was my "gut level" response to the evening - I feel grateful to God that He put Bobby (and Marilyn!) Clinton in my life. I also felt small this evening - small in the context of how big God is and how He uses people. And small in the midst of leaders such as Bobby, Terry, and Frank who are living out these values more fully than I am at the moment. Just talking honestly here.
Leadership Guys: Paul, Terry, Bobby, and Brian


No comments:

Post a Comment