20 April 2011

Columbine ... 12 years later

Twelve years ago today two students at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado went on a rampage killing 12 students and a teacher.
       The scene of that massacre is about south 5 miles of our house. In fact, Steven and I umpire baseball games at Clement Park which sits adjacent to Columbine High. Last weekend we umpired on a baseball field that sits right on the edge of the Columbine Memorial. Look out into centerfield and you see the mounds of dirt which mark the beginning of the Memorial area.
       Today I will go to the Columbine Memorial - along with hundreds of other people - to remember the 15 lives lost on that tragic day. While I do not have any personal connection with the people who lost their lives, I feel strongly about the sanctity of all life. This is a time to ask God to protect His creation, that future Columbines will not happen.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Brian,
    In the Netherlands we had a memorial servie as well today. Not for Columbine, but for the town Alphen aan den Rijn. April 9th, ayoung man, 23y, shot in a mall 100 times and killed 6 people and then himself. Several people were wounded as well.
    He shot very calmly, walked from one entrance to the other, greated people he knew and shot others.
    His father is a teacher at a Reformed school. Nobody knows why.
    So we will pray also that future situations like this will not happen and that God will protect us.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will never forget the images of that day as I watched them unfolding live. I do what I can everyday to make sure children fell valued by their peers. If only it could all look like my kindergarten class.

    Keep up the work Newman!

    love, susan

    ReplyDelete