25 April 2011

Church as Industry

We went to our home church, Lookout Mountain, for the sunrise service yesterday. Later in the morning we went to Flatirons Church near Boulder for one of their six services in their new 4,000-seat facility.
       Back in 2005-2006 I spent a lot of time at Flatirons when they were in transition between lead pastors. I did some consulting there and preached a number of times. Prior to the previous senior pastor leaving the church had about 5,000 people attending. It then fell to about 3,500 before Jim Burgen became lead pastor.
       This weekend they had 6 services over Saturday and Sunday and probably more than 20,000 people in attendance (it was Easter however).
       I am torn about Flatirons after being there yesterday. First, some things that I appreciate:
* I thought the worship was theologically solid (loud, guitar-driven - I used ear plugs!);
* The message by Jim and the follow up to Communion by Scott was clear, concise, and honored the Biblical account of Jesus' resurrection very well;
* Flatirons has showed that it desires to "give themselves away" to the local community and around the world;
* They are evangelistic in a good way, focusing on people who are far from God.
       I am left scratching my head about some things that came to the surface in being at Flatirons again:
- I appreciate that Flatirons knows their "target audience," but I wonder if the light and smoke show is that necessary to reach them and I wonder what it says about worship;
- The financial cost of putting on a worship service is astronomical and I wonder if that is ultimately wise stewardship;
- Here's my biggest concern: Flatirons is a "one-stop shop" where you get every service you can think of - children's ministry, youth ministry, college ministry, single parents. If you have a need or desire it will be met at Flatirons. It's like going to a mall and finding every store that you want and consuming in great quantity.
       My critique is not of Flatirons specifically, but rather I am wrestling with the large church model which is so prevalent in America. Flatirons does many things in a great manner and touches people for the Kingdom every week. I respect their ministry in many ways. And yet I am left with some questions which I need to ask and consider deeply.

No comments:

Post a Comment