26 August 2010

Serving My Alma Mater

I attended a little known State university in Central New York, in the town of Cortland. I was there at Cortland State for 4 years and graduated with a bachelor's degree in English and Journalism. It was a great time in my life, and incredibly formative in so many ways.
       So recently when I was asked to consider becoming part of the Board of Director for the Cortland State Alumni Association I said yes. It's time for me to give back, especially because Cortland State is part of the public higher education system in the U.S. And in my opinion, the public education option is not a great one for a lot of students today. Some of that has to do with state budgets being cut and less money going to public higher education. Some of it also has to do with private universities having vast sums of money to make those schools financially competitive with public school.
       Well for the next couple of years at least I am diving into serve with my Alma Mater's alumni, and I am very much looking forward to it. I will be in Cortland in mid-October for an association meeting and I'm sure I will have a more complete perspective after that.





No comments:

Post a Comment